Ultimate guide to a big spring clean21 March 2022
It’s almost that time for that big spring clean, yes you heard right, spring, it’s finally here! After a winter that always seems to last forever, it’s now time for the daffodils to start blooming, the bees to come out and the birds to start chirping. The best part of spring is that holiday parks finally begin reopening and what better way of opening up your holiday home again with a big spring clean. It can always seem a little daunting hearing the words ‘spring clean’, but don’t worry, we have put together some helpful lists and gathered some tips to get you started.
So you may be thinking where do I start? But don’t panic, just begin by checking you have all the essentials you need. It’s important that you are prepared, having everything you need and having it ready to use so you don’t need to go back and forth getting things out.
Luckily for you we have put a list together of essentials, along with some examples, to help you out.
What will I need?
- Cleaning caddy - always useful to organise your cleaning products
- Microfibre cloths
- Extendable duster
- Dustpan and brush
- Bin bags
- Sweeping brush
- Soap - Bio-D Washing Up Liquid Refills.
- Disinfectant - Fabulosa is a great option that smells great but is also cruelty free and vegan friendly. When using this make sure to use it diluted to avoid any damage to surfaces. An alternative is the Cheeky Panda bamboo antibacterial surface wipes, these are 100% biodegradable.
- Glass cleaner - Smol sells non-toxic glass cleaner refill tablets and reusable bottles so you don’t have to keep buying new bottles each time you run out.
- Oven cleaner - Oven Pride Deep Cleaner will leave your oven sparkling again.
- Toilet cleaner - Harpic is a great brand of cleaner to keep your toilet fresh. A sustainable and vegan friendly alternative is the Bio-D toilet cleaner.
- Floor cleaner - The method all floor cleaner squirt and mop is non-toxic and plant based, it also leaves your floor smelling amazing.
- Baby oil - Use baby oil monthly on any chrome plated surfaces helps protect it from environmental factors and keep the finish looking fresh and shiny.
Before you start cleaning make sure you check your owners handbook and have a read of the interior maintenance section to ensure you are following the correct maintenance advice. DO NOT use household cleaners on the internal doors.
Next you should make a simple list of everything that will need cleaning, order these from what needs prioritising and what can or needs to be done last. We’ve created a little template you could use to help you out.
Start with the main living area or the exterior so that you can get the biggest job out the way and done with. Make sure you only do one room at a time. Pick a room and stick at it till you have finished it.
Don’t forget to disinfect any door handles, wipe down any appliances, cupboard doors and kickboards, wash your bedding and hoover the crevices in your sofa and any other seating. Another thing to remember is to rotate any mattresses, this helps prolong the lifespan of your mattress.
Whilst you are cleaning up, have a declutter and organise each room. Being unorganised can cause stress so it’s always important to reorganise every so often.
Don’t expect too much from yourself, you may get overwhelmed by doing it all in one day, spread jobs across a few days and don’t put pressure on yourself.
Leave any hoovering or cleaning the floors till last, dust resettles so it’s always best to leave this job till the end, this saves you needing to do it again!
If you have a dishwasher in your holiday home, it will become your best friend. It can save you time by cleaning things for you, for example filters and fridge shelves.
After you have done the cleaning, freshen up your holiday home (and get rid of any chemical smells from all those cleaning products) with some new reed diffusers, have a spritz of a new room spray, pop a toilet freshener in each toilet and spray any carpets with some carpet freshener. Your holiday home will be left smelling as fresh as ever.
When you have done you can just sit back, relax and spend some time with your family and friends in your Willerby holiday home.
Why not check out our blog post on cleaning the exterior of your holiday home too?