Here Poppy Marshall, trainee project manager, shares her delicious take on the much loved carrot cake.
Love Poppy's carrot cake? Why not visit her new Instagram account to view more of the recipes she's been creating since lockdown began - apparently the mango chicken is 'insane'. It's certainly one we'll be trying!
Ingredients - CAKE
- 175g light muscovado sugar
- 175ml sunflower oil
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 140g grated carrot (about 3 medium)
- 100g raisins
- grated zest of 1 large orange
- 175g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp grated nutmeg (freshly grated will give you the best flavour)
Ingredients - FROSTING
- 115g unsalted butter room temperature
- 250 g of Philadelphia cream cheese room temperature
- 360g of powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Pack of fresh strawberries
- Goji berries
- Organic pumpkin seeds
Method - CAKE
- Heat the oven to 180C
- Oil and line the base and sides of an 18cm round cake tin with baking parchment
- Tip 175g light muscovado sugar, 175ml sunflower oil and 3 large beaten eggs into a big mixing bowl. Lightly mix with a wooden spoon. Stir in 140g grated carrots, 100g raisins and grated zest of 1 large orange.
- Sift 175g self-raising flour, 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda, 1 tsp ground cinnamon and ½ tsp grated nutmeg into the bowl.
- Mix everything together, the mixture will be soft and almost runny.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 40-45 mins or until it feels firm and springy when you press it in the centre.
- Cool in the tin for 5 mins, then turn it out, peel off the paper and cool on a wire rack.
Method - FROSTING
- Beat the cream cheese and butter together: Using an electric mixer or your super strength, beat the cream cheese and butter together until completely smooth, about 3 minutes on medium speed. Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl to ensure that the mixture is mixed evenly.
- Beat in vanilla extract and powdered sugar: Beat in the vanilla extract. With the mixer running on low speed to start, slowly add in 2 cups of the powdered sugar.
- Half the mixture, put half in the middle of the cake and half on top.
Decorate your cake with fresh fruit and ENJOY!