08 March 2017
2017 is our home city of Hull's year... We're proud to be City of Culture 2017, and here at Willerby we’re doing our bit to help get it buzzing!
As you hopefully know, the WillerBee is our company mascot (our founder's original roots were in beehive production), but sadly the UK's bumblebee population is rapidly declining. This is mainly due to changes in agricultural practices that have largely removed flowers from our landscape, leaving the bees with little to feed upon.
At Willerby we're determined to help raise awareness of the plight of the British bumblebee, and so we’re planning a year-long campaign to support their conservation. We hope you'll join us!
The answer? Planting some bee-autiful flowers!
We've sourced thousands of packets of bee-friendly wildflower seeds, and are currently in the process of distributing them to:
• Local primary schools, hospitals & prisons in Hull & the East Riding
• Our own employees working in our head office and factory
• Willerby Owners Club members
• Our customers & suppliers across the UK
What else are Willerby doing to help?
• We're proud to have become a corporate member of the Bumblebee Conservation Trust
• We're working with our local primary schools to provide educational materials on the plight of the bumblebee
• As part of our Corporate Social Responsibility strategy, we’re now working closely with HM Prison Hull. Prisoners participating in the on-site joinery class as part of their rehabilitation process are currently busy creating handcrafted wooden bee-houses, which we'll then distribute to local schools and hospitals
As you'd expect we've got more things up our sleeves for later in the year, so we'll keep you updated...
Wanna-bee even more helpful?
• Visit the Bumblebee Conservation Trust website for lots of great information on the bumblebee’s plight and how you can help
• Keep an eye on our Facebook page for campaign updates, and like and share our posts to help us raise awareness
• If you’ve got any great ideas for our campaign, we’d love to hear them! Drop an email to Chloe Lawford in our Marketing team: firstname.lastname@example.org